With the US berry season ramping up, it is easy to grab a few extra clamshells of berries at your local grocery store. The question is: what should you do with your excess of fresh berries? Freeze them! Frozen berries provide the same nutritional values as fresh berries; they are versatile and can be used in anything, maybe in a smoothie or baked goods. At Naturipe we have our own way to freezing berries and we want to share it with you.
The secret to successful freezing:
- Use berries that are UNwashed and completely dry.
- Discard berries that look bruised or shriveled.
- Remove any stems (hull strawberries)
- Place the berries on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper, or try using an ice cube tray, and store in freezer for 24 hrs. Transfer frozen berries to a air-tight container or resealable freezer bag.
- Berries will freeze individually and you can remove just the portion you need.
- Remember to rinse them before using and enjoy!