Field Notes Blog
The holiday season is upon us and we all know that there will be a sugar overload for the next few months. You can easily find yourself craving sugar, whether it may be a candy, cake or pie. So we wanted to share with you how to fight those sugar cravings with berries and have a healthier holiday season!
Why do we crave sugar?
- – Sugar Gives You Energy
Sugar gives you a rush of energy – when you’re tired or stressed, especially if you haven’t eaten for a few hours, your blood sugar levels will drop and you may feel fatigued, irritable, moody and groggy. Sugary foods raise your blood sugar levels instantly to relieve the fatigue and mood swings associated with low blood sugar levels.
- – Sugar Makes You Feel Good
Sweet, sugary fruits and berries are packed with vitamins and minerals, so human beings evolve to be hardwired to enjoy sweet foods. The elevated mood is the same whether you eat fruit or refined sugar; however, consuming refined sugar can lead to wide swings in blood sugar levels, insulin resistance and malnutrition, since treats made with refined sugar don’t typically contain the same healthy nutrients found in fruits and berries.
- – Psychological Reasons for Sugar Cravings
Many people seek emotional comfort from food, and sweet, sugary food can be especially comforting since it raises your serotonin levels and makes you feel happier for a brief time.
- – Sugar Cravings Could Be the Result of Sugar Addiction
When you eat sugar, your brain releases opioids, a natural chemical that leads to feelings of pleasure and happiness. Unfortunately, it’s easy to get addicted to sugar, because it’s present in so many of the foods we eat. Ketchup and other sauces, beverages, breakfast cereals, yogurt and even bread contain unhealthy amounts of sugar.
How to fight those cravings:
- – Go cold turkey- the first 48-72 hours may be tough but will reduce cravings.
- – Grab some gum- chewing gum decreases cravings
- – Reach for fruit – A handful of berries will suffice
- – Get up and go – When a sugar craving hits, walk away. “Take a walk around the block”
- – Eat regularly – Waiting too long between meals may set you up to choose sugary, fatty foods that cut your hunger
So next time you have a hankering for a sugary snack, we suggest you reach for some berries! you will get a natural sweet taste and essential nutrients your body need!